Tuesday, October 23, 2012

One of THOSE Days

I don't know who has been reading my posts, but my page views have been climbing to an unimaginable number--just kidding, only five, but still. Maybe I should be more careful about what I put into my posts..or not. Probably not. Nope.

Today has been one of THOSE days. I don't want this to be a whiny post, but honestly, I need to vent. Feel free to laugh because today has been almost a Bad Luck Brian kind of a day.

First off, I had to grab breakfast to go. This may seem like it's not that big of a deal, but it is when you don't realize your stomach is having a fussy day and you try to eat an apple on an empty stomach and you end up almost tossing your cookies--er apples.

I forgot my iclicker for my first class and seeing as I needed to go get it, I thought I would make some soup to calm down my class five hurricane of a stomach while I was home. Mmmmm! Chicken noodle soup! Mind you, it was Campbell's, but hey! Soup! I put it on the stove and heated it up and within five minutes I had a delicious bowl of soup! Or so I thought..

First bite: warm, brothy, flavorful. Swallow: gets stuck. What? There was a hair in my soup. I had swallowed half of it but the other half was hanging out of my mouth and choking me. I tried to pull it out and almost gagged. I ended up having to break it off and swallow the stub completely or risk throwing up. I was grossed out, yes, but I figured it was my hair, so I kept eating.

Second bite: warm, broth...hair! Another one! This time I spit it out before I choked myself for a second time. I looked at the hair. Definitely NOT my hair. I wanted to puke. TWO hairs in TWO bites! Seriously? That is disgusting. Needless to say, I did not finish my soup.

How could my day get worse? My stomach's discomfort was horrendous, but hey, that was just the same as earlier today. It couldn't possibly get worse. Wrong.

I went to lab meeting today and there was some random guy with a camera. "Hi everyone. I'm making a website for Dr. Robison's lab and I need to get every one's picture." Really? Picture? I didn't do my hair today, I'm pale from being sick and I have a facial expression similar to someone being stabbed in the stomach. Fabulous. Say cheese.

I survive my picture, manage to smile, and as everyone gets up one by one to get their picture taken, lab meeting proceeds. Now, our discussions are serious business--well, not really. We do joke around, but this next moment was serious. We're talking hardcore science when, out of the blue, what happens? I choke... on my own spit. I wasn't eating, wasn't drinking, wasn't talking, nope. I'm just sitting there and I start to choke. I try to hold my breath but then I start choking and making horrible sputtering noises right in the middle of lab meeting. My face turned bright red and tears started to come. I quickly got up and calmly.. ran. To the drinking fountain. I'm a scientist, yep. One that chokes on her own spit.

The last order of not so fantastic business was the review session I went to. This week is my Chem 105 test (which I should be studying for right now). Anyways, I'm super nervous about this test. I don't really understand a few of the concepts and my TA taught us wrong, so now I am twice as confused. I decided to go to the review session today. I figured my need was dire enough to struggle through gastrointestinal pain to listen to someone reteach me about the things I'm struggling with. I sit down and this TA starts out by saying, "Hi, my name is ****. This is my first year TAing. I took Chem 105 four years ago." Wait, what? Four years ago? And you expect to teach us? Well maybe this guy is pro chemist now! Nope.

He starts teaching us and at one point says, "Now, do you guys know how to do this? Good, because I don't remember." Excuse me? We're putting our trust in you to teach us what we need to know on the test and you don't remember? I'm sitting here, holding back pain so I can listen to us teach you? Oh no, no. I left. Yep. I just plain couldn't do it.

I went home, and that was when my day got better. I could sleep. The best time of day is that time in which you are unconscious. Well, at least on THIS particular kind of day. Have good days, readers. Have good days.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a creep and I read your posts every time there is a new one! :) I'm sorry you had a bad day. Stomachaches suck, hair in your food REALLY sucks (regardless of who's it is) and choking on your spit sucks too! No fun. I hope you are feeling better! Where are you living?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So YOU'RE the person that's been reading my posts! Don't worry; I appreciate it :]. I am feeling better, by the way, and I live in Wyview :]

    ReplyDelete